I’m thinking of switching to linux and I’m looking for a lighter weight easy starter distro. Any tips or recommendations?

• seiryth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Definitely try Ubuntu as a easy starter. Supports a lot of hardware, is a good first step.

• TheyCallMeHacked
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

OP said lightweight. Ubuntu is many things, but lightweight isn’t one of them.

• makunamatata
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

How about Lubuntu or Xubuntu? What are the drawbacks of these?

• TheyCallMeHacked
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Imo, they’re better than Ubuntu with Gnome in terms of resources, but they have two drawbacks: it’s still Canonical, so all their controversial decisions affect you too, and it’s still rather resource intensive because Ubuntu and it’s derivative want to be very easy to install with minimal configuration. The latter is an advantage if you want a system that “just works™”, but becomes a drawback when your resources are limited

• seiryth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I took lightweight as in “easy to get into” as opposed to “write your own wireless driver”. My bad!

• cfx_4188
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Install the Ubuntu server. Do not install any (suggested) programs and DEs. After reboot manually install xorg, xinit and some lightweight WM (for example sudo apt install xmonad xmobar). Open terminal and write echo >> ~/xinitrc exec xmonad (for example). Reboot. At the tty prompt type startx /usr/bin/xmonad. You get an empty and fast ubuntu-based distro.

• TheyCallMeHacked
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s more of a hassle than just installing Debian with your preferred WM. Plus doing the latter, you don’t have to scratch your head at snaps

• cfx_4188
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

undefined> It’s more of a hassle than just installing Debian with your preferred WM. Plus doing the latter, you don’t have to scratch your head at snaps

I think setting up wifi in Debian netinstall will be just as troublesome as fighting the dreaded and horrible snap.

• cfx_4188
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

There is a wifi/bluetooth module, the rtl8821. It comes with cheap or old Windows laptops, try to find an open source driver for it.

• TheyCallMeHacked
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

I happen to have this exact chipset in my laptop (RTL8821CE to be exact), and it has driver modules directly in the mainline kernel (rtw_8821ce). The only possible issue would be firmware, but I honestly had absolutely no issue installing Arch, Gentoo, or Debian (with the non-free firmware iso) on it multiple times.

• TheyCallMeHacked
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

TL;DR: I’d say EndeavourOS.

Note that as a general rule, the more lightweight a distro is at “run-time”, the heavier it is at “configure-time”, because you’ll have to make choices depending on your needs to get better performance. As an example, probably the lightest weight distro is Gentoo, thanks to compiler optimization and USE flags. But it’s a distro with an incredibly steep learning curve. On the other side of the spectrum, there’s Ubuntu, which is one of the distros that requires least user configuration, but is also a resource hog. In my opinion EndeavourOS strikes a good balance between the two factors (Disclaimer: I don’t daily drive it. I’ve used it enough to know I can recommend it)

• tatzelkatz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m using Endeavour and Fedora on Desktop and Laptop and love both OS. Endeavours advantage: always the newest software, no hassle with upgrading/new installation. On the downside is Archlinux (and Endeavour) not usable without AUR (and AUR is a little scary as far as security is concerned). Fedora’s sweet point is it’s professional quality (compared with Endeauvour): No AUR needed, more comfortable overall (Fedora is more userfriendly than Ubuntu), and skills in Fedora pays of when working on the webserver. Downside: Update/new installation every half year is not so fine.

• erich_zann
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

since i installed debian ( ??3?? i think) , on the first xbox with a self soldered chip ( sorry, its to long ago. i use debian. startet with SuSE 4.2 but then the xbox incident with debian and so, just debian. on my server, on my vm’s, on my workstation… just debian.

• copacetic
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For a long time, I’m a Ubuntu LTS user. Main reasons were that I had to admin other desktops at home and at work. Both of those reasons have disappeared though, so I’m thinking of switching. However, I’m have a different profile.

As a “lighter weight easy starter distro” I still think Ubuntu is fine. You will find a lot of support for all kinds of questions online.

• azezeB
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Ubuntu is very easy but is not very light. One alternative is Linux mint, fairly easy and lighter than Ubuntu.

• EinPhysiker
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Depends what you mean by light weight. On desktops I’m using the LTS releases of Ubuntu, or rather Kubuntu since close to 20 years. (On servers I stick to Debian for even longer, but I guess I wouldn’t use it as a desktop starter.)

• ItsCryptic
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m currently on Fedora for a variety of reasons. It’s relatively up to date in terms of modern technology and is frequently updated, and its a bit more stable than something like arch

• penguintrinity
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

You can Try Fedora Workstation. its good for beginners and advanced users alike. It has brought hardware support and comes with flatpak - a large repository of software.

• Rogueren
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I will forever recommemd Pop!_OS if you have an Nvidia GPU. IDK What System76 does different but I have had almost 0 issues with Nvidia on Pop!_OS

• FryboyterM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Personally, I prefer Arch or OpenSUSE.

The distributions themselves are usually not the problem, but rather various programs. For example, a current browser nowadays often needs several GB of RAM.

• teri
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m not really a ‘starter’. I started with Ubuntu (long time ago), then used Fedora, then Arch Linux and now I settled on Debian. You can install Debian very light for example without graphical desktop or a minimal one like i3. The installation holds for a long time. No need to be scared every 6 month that a major update will break something. It does not always ship bleeding-edge software. But often that’s for good.

There’s a graphical installer. Setup usually goes quite smooth.

• ruination
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

recommendation: something simple like fedora

favourite: either NixOS or gentoo

• aktenkundig
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Is there actually a big difference in lightweightness between distros, that does not go back to the Desktop Environment and used Software?

• weurukhai
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Fedora Budgie spin. Budgie has been my fav on my old Lenovo T510 and my Acer Ryzen 3 laptop, to the point I’m thinking of converting all my stuff to it.

Clean and light bout 600 - 640 MB RAM at boot.