I’m thinking of switching to linux and I’m looking for a lighter weight easy starter distro. Any tips or recommendations?

• TheyCallMeHacked
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

TL;DR: I’d say EndeavourOS.

Note that as a general rule, the more lightweight a distro is at “run-time”, the heavier it is at “configure-time”, because you’ll have to make choices depending on your needs to get better performance. As an example, probably the lightest weight distro is Gentoo, thanks to compiler optimization and USE flags. But it’s a distro with an incredibly steep learning curve. On the other side of the spectrum, there’s Ubuntu, which is one of the distros that requires least user configuration, but is also a resource hog. In my opinion EndeavourOS strikes a good balance between the two factors (Disclaimer: I don’t daily drive it. I’ve used it enough to know I can recommend it)

• tatzelkatz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m using Endeavour and Fedora on Desktop and Laptop and love both OS. Endeavours advantage: always the newest software, no hassle with upgrading/new installation. On the downside is Archlinux (and Endeavour) not usable without AUR (and AUR is a little scary as far as security is concerned). Fedora’s sweet point is it’s professional quality (compared with Endeauvour): No AUR needed, more comfortable overall (Fedora is more userfriendly than Ubuntu), and skills in Fedora pays of when working on the webserver. Downside: Update/new installation every half year is not so fine.