Notable changes:

• Tracking improvements. For example, if you use the launcher to launch an application and then switch workspaces, it will still launch in the workspace you opened it from;
  • Supported the ext-session-lock protocol, which authenticates the user and informs the compositor when the session should be unlocked
  • XDG activation and DBus activation support
  • work on HDR
  • Ongoing work to package COSMIC on NixOS: tracking issue
  • @d_k_bo@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    -56 months ago

Please don’t automatically generate themes for third-party apps. If an application brings its own styles and icons, it results a weird mix of multiple styles.

If a user wants to style it themselves, they should be able to — at their own risk. But shipping (inherently broken) styles with a distro/DE misrepresents the appplication and creates unnecessary issues for the upstream developers.

https://stopthemingmy.app/

• Michael Murphy (S76)
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

You’re so silly. If the developer doesn’t want a themeable application, then either don’t use a themeable toolkit, or hardcode the theme so that the system theme is ignored.

• @d_k_bo@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        6 months ago

I want that individual users are able to theme my app. I don’t want that distributors and DEs automatically theme my app and expect that it still works the same.

It’s a bit like websites: I’m absolutely fine if a user wants to inject some CSS in my website. On the other hand, if a browser manufacturer decided to inject CSS into all websites to customize their look, it would be a nightmare for web developers.

• Michael Murphy (S76)
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          6 months ago

You don’t seem to realize that this is equivalent to that. The user already made the choice to install a desktop environment which generates themes. So if you make the choice to build an application with GTK, and you want users to be able to use system themes with it, then consider it done.

To argue otherwise would make you a hypocrite. It would mean that you don’t actually want users to use themes, so you take issue with desktop environments which make it easy to do so by default. So if you want people to be able to use themes, then you shouldn’t complain when people choose to use a desktop which enables that use case.

• trevor
      link
      fedilink
      English
      26 months ago

Tell that to my eyes when your application only has a blinding light mode. Theming is an accessibility feature and should be prioritized as such.

It’s 2023. Every application should have a theme engine built-in. If not, that’s on the dev. Let’s not make a movement out of a lack of interest in providing support for accessibility.