Instead of blocking them, this extension speeds them up to x16 and also mutes the ad. Experiencing a 30 second ad in 2 seconds is pretty funny. And it works on Edge and Chrome.

• jol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I don’t know man. This is actually pretty genius. Because this way creators still get paid. I wouldn’t mind using such extension on Firefox. Problem is I still want to block all trackers and other nonsense…

• Tattorack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Doesn’t the creator only get paid if someone actually clicks on the ad? Pretty sure the creator gets nothing if no clicks are accumulated.

• jol
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

No, on YouTube you also earn from impressions.

• viralJ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Haha two exact opposite answers. From what I remember, the advertiser can chose the payment model. They can either say “I will pay YouTube a tiny amount for every time the ad is shown” or “I will pay YouTube a less tiny amount for every time the ad is clicked”. But it was a few years ago that I read about it so it might have changed since then.

• Tattorack@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I tried actually searching for info about it, but it seems that YouTube and Google want to be as vague as possible about how it actually works.

Yes, let’s be a YouTube creator and base my income on something extremely vague and shaky. Sounds like a good life decision.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Sounds about as stable as asking the all mighty magic 8 ball how much you should be paid. Maybe yt should just do that for the creators and let them in on it. /s

• CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Agreed, I’m testing it on opera and might have it installed for the soel purpose of watching youtube (with firefox for everything else)