• @smileyhead
    link
    English
    96 months ago

Imagine a world when instead of

adding DWORD value of 32bit lenght named AllowCortana with value 0 to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search in registry editor,

we could do “sudo dnf remove cortana”.

• @CeeBee@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            16 months ago

For me it’s deleting the Windows partition and then installing Linux. That’s just me though.

• @banneryear1868@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              06 months ago

Oh you mean for personal use… I manage a mixed environment with about a thousand Windows workstations and 300 Windows Servers, about the same amount of Linux servers.

At home I only run Windows for Ableton Live cause VST plugins don’t work on Linux :(.

• @CeeBee@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                16 months ago

Well, at my last job we were a 100% Microsoft free company. And at my current company I got the company to implement a policy to allow Mac and Linux workstations. I’ve managed thousands of Windows systems and server before also. I don’t miss it.

• @banneryear1868@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  06 months ago

Unfortunately a lot of our core tools don’t have supported linux client software, SCADA clients and power flow/transmission grid simulation etc, but we also aren’t a business so it’s more about what gets the job done since we’re basically mandated to do what we do.

• @CeeBee@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    16 months ago

That’s a perfect application for VMs. But either way, both Windows and Linux are just tools. For what I do, Linux is a better fit 95% of the time, and the last 5% I find alternative solutions. I don’t want to be bothered to maintain another OS for some edge cases when I can get by with alternatives. The only thing I use Windows for right now (personally or professionally) is BlueIris, and even that is really wearing thin. Both the Windows OS is causing issues and BlueIris is just… bad.