• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

The data is already processed in Europe, that doesn’t change. The fact that they are getting marching orders from the CCP also doesn’t. And even if they were Europeans what they are doing should be a crime.

• misk@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Okay, so no change in terms of legality of the enterprise. Personally I’m in favor of regulating Youtube and Tiktok to the point that they’re truly socially responsible and only slightly profitable but that’s mostly irrelevant to data center location discussion.

In terms of benefits of investing in data center in Norway I could list:

• using renewable energy sources in a location that’s very good at those
      • staying at regulators arms length
      • jobs

So I think this is good news.

• jmcs
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Letting people build a Heroin-Cyanide candy factory would also bring jobs, I still think it should be illegal.

• misk@sopuli.xyzOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

That’s a fair point but it would require outlawing YouTube too.

• Nyfure@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

One at a time, but comparing A to B, because B is also doing bad things doesnt negate nor justify the impact of A, which in this case, i’d say is worse.
            Yes, I believe it is slightly preferable to be under surveillance by an unstable democracy with a history of disregard for other nations laws, than to be monitored by China’s Communist Party, which has previously used such data for oppression and manipulation.

Though i agree and would make, if possible, both responsible for their actions and control over others. And here it also seems, there is more control over the big sea than in Asia, making one marginally better than theother.

• misk@sopuli.xyzOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

Do you truly believe that Google, Meta or other tech giants are not selling your data to CCP if TikTok can supposedly get away with this?

• Nyfure@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Probably depends on who can force who to which extend and gain how much.
                I’d argue the US still has the most control, may that be good or bad…

I dont want my data with any of them, so i prefer smaller alternatives, designed to be more secure, but probably also more of a hassle if stuff breaks…
                Sadly these giants probably still get plenty of data because they control most of the internet.