we literally have teflon cookware

• drolex@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Teflon cookware is mostly a non-issue during cooking because PTFE starts melting only at temperatures largely higher than cooking temperatures.

The problem is when it gets discarded and incinerated and it emits residues, and during its fabrication.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

The problem is when the surface gets damaged, which is always. Just throw away all of your Teflon and use cast iron pans. They’re almost as easy to clean, and they don’t have the same health risks. Sure, DuPont claims their new Teflon is safe, but they’re the same company that knowingly lied about their first Teflon, fought in court about it for 30 years, and even bribed health authorities.

• LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

I feel like people that recommend cast iron as an alternative are misunderstanding the entire reason Teflon became popular in the first place. I ain’t got time to learn a secret ritual dance of how to season My Pan. That being said, I just use stainless steel and I’ve learned how to use it properly so that it doesn’t just stick to everything.

As long as you properly preheat your stainless steel you will have little issue with sticking, there’s a neat little trick someone taught me splash some water on your pan if it stays in place and Bubbles it’s not ready yet but if it starts dancing around the pan you can use it and it won’t stick

cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

LOL. It can seem daunting at first, but it’s really quite simple. Once a pan is seasoned then just using it with oil, cleaning it with water, and drying it properly keeps it going strong for years. We clean ours with water and a scrub brush, dry it, put it on the burner on medium heat to evaporate any remaining water, and then spread a little oil around the pan with a napkin. Then I turn the burner off and let it sit there until it cools. The oil continues curing while the pan stays hot and maintains the seasoning layer. The whole process only takes a couple of minutes. We do have stainless pans too, but we usually reach for the cast iron or carbon steel pans, unless we’re boiling water, or making tomato based sauces.

• XbSuper@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

There’s no actual need to season a cast iron if you don’t want to. Regular use of it will cause it to become seasoned over time. It just means everything will stick to it until such a time as the season takes.

• oodarthvader@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Cast iron isn’t completely without risk. The iron from the pan can leach into food which can be a problem for people with high iron issues. On the flip side people with anemia could see some benefit. My personal favorite as someone with hemachromatosis is enameled cast iron.

cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

A properly seasoned cast iron pan has a layer in-between the food and iron. But those layers do get damaged & worn, and you can definitely end up with your food in contact with the iron like you said. I have an enameled dutch oven, and it’s pretty great, but not as easy to clean as the regular cast iron, and definitely not non-stick.

• Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

The seasoning layer prevents massive amounts of iron from leeching but seasoned pans still add iron.

Medical journals all say you get significant iron from seasoned cast iron.

The only source that doesn’t agree is America’s test kitchen. They say “only a few mg” which would still be a significant percentage of dietary requirements.

Unless you have a medical problem, this is a good thing.

cake
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Yeah, we’ve been using cast iron pans since we saw the movie Deep Waters about the DuPont conspiracy several years ago. I just donated blood a couple of weeks ago and they test your iron before you can donate. My iron levels were perfectly normal. So whatever it does, it’s totally fine.

cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

We have a 13" carbon steel pan. It is usually my go-to pan. They’re a lot pricier though, which is why I usually just recommend cast iron. People usually need to be pretty invested in their kitchen to consider carbon steel pans. My cast iron pans were like $10 each. My carbon steel pan was $75. They were half that price a couple of years ago, but they really bumped up the price after America’s Test Kitchen released a review about them.

• EatYouWell@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I just have regular stainless steel.

Pour water and soap in it when you’re done cooking and it’s easy to clean by the time you’re done eating.

You also don’t have to worry about messing up a coating.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

Where did you read this? What I’ve read has said the opposite. Here’s one result for “teflon flakes”

When cooking, flakes of Teflon can break off into food. If these flakes are ingested, it is considered non-toxic.

If metal utensils are used with Teflon coated cookware, small pieces of Teflon can break off and get into the food. This is considered non-toxic. When swallowed, these pieces will travel through the intestines and come out in the stool intact without causing harm to the body.

https://missouripoisoncenter.org/is-this-a-poison/teflon

cake
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

I highly suggest watching the movie Dark Waters starring Mark Ruffalo. It covers the true story about a 30 year legal battle to hold DuPont liable for knowingly poisoning their factory workers and 99% of all life on planet earth with PFAS. After losing that court battle they stopped selling their original Teflon pans and started selling a new formulation which they claim is safe. But this is the same company that knowingly sold poison for half a century, bribed government regulatory officers to lie, bought politicians, and buried massive amounts of evidence against them. It’s your choice if you believe them or not.

• Catoblepas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

No way it doesn’t degrade and emit PFAS occasionally during normal use. There’s a reason nobody who keeps birds will keep that shit in their house.

The risk:reward ratio is so skewed it’s stupid.

Risk: if you heat it slightly too much a class of chemicals literally called “forever chemicals” because of how long they stay in the body will enter your lungs and your food

Reward: food no sticky

• I'm back on my BS 🤪@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

There’s a reason nobody who keeps birds will keep that shit in their house

For those of us that have no clue what this quote it about, what is the reason that nobody with a bird will have teflon in their house at the same time?

• Catoblepas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Sorry, I forget not everyone else is a bird person. Teflon is notorious for making pet birds drop dead without warning during normal use. It’s very ‘canary in the coal mine.’

• I'm back on my BS 🤪@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

Wow, that’s nuts. I did not know that. It really makes it sound like teflon is terrible for us.

Sad fact: During the 2003 Invasion of Iraq, the the US command at the front lines had a pigeon in a cage with them at all times. If the pigeon were to die, that would mean that there was a gas attack and troops needed to don their gas masks.

Why is it that birds in particular are so sensitive to aerial pollutants (is that the right term)?

• zalgotext@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Why is it that birds in particular are so sensitive to aerial pollutants (is that the right term)?

They have a higher rate of respiratory exchange than large mammals like humans, which means any harmful stuff in the air gets into their system faster.

• nymwit@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

the “teflon fumes” for lack of a better term are extremely toxic to birds

• nymwit@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

to pick a nit and to highlight the other-than-poisoning-you aspect: they’re forever chemicals because they don’t break down naturally anywhere, not just your body. Wait…an idea: throw those pans into a volcano!

• Imacat@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Ever seen a well used Teflon pan that wasn’t scratched or chipped? All of that goes into your food.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

It’s not known to be harmful or carcinogenic. Doesn’t mean it isn’t. It’s hard to identify correlation between exposure and harm for something that we’re nearly all exposed to especially if the level of harm is low.

Companies have also been known to harass and silence researchers who show their products are harmful. I don’t see a reason to trust that PTFE is safe to eat when I have the option to just not eat it.

• drolex@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

Sure but you can apply this logic to anything: copper, cast iron, enamel, nickel used for stainless steel… Where do you stop?

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

Copper and iron are essential elements in human biology. Enamel coatings need to be thrown out once they start chipping. Nickel isn’t great but in my experience stainless steel pans barely shed any material after years of use.

I stop at manufactured polymers. Particularly when they’re used in applications where they fall apart into our food and the environment where they’re going to last millions of years.

• zalgotext@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Teflon-coated pans start giving off harmful gasses at around 400°F, temperatures you’re going to exceed on the stovetop if you’re doing pretty much anything other than boiling water.

• Daefsdeda@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

My current research is about pfas and how bad it is. You wanna know yhe most fun part? It probably is in your drinking water. Current testing methods are only for specific compounds and many manufacturers just use a slightly different chemical structure, whose effects can be the same in a biological system…

• grandkaiser@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Can you share the negative health effects of ptfe consumption? I would have assumed that it would be inert in humans considering it’s extraordinarily inert properties. Obviously it breaks down at temperatures over 315c, but that’s not really relevant with ptfe in the water.

• jabathekek@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

It doesn’t seem to be the PTFE themselves, it’s the molecules released when it eventually degrades due to fire, time or mechanical force; particularly PFOAs, which were at one point so widely used you can now find them everywhere. As well, they are still used to manufacture non-stick pans, just at an earlier step in the process so they are still present, but at ‘safe’ levels; however, if a non-stick pan is overheated, the coating almost instantly breaks down and releases unsafe levels of PFOA after that event.

Purchasing non-stick cookware is supporting companies that create, ship, and use PFOA which further degrades the environment and contaminates water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluoroalkyl_carboxylic_acids

Schlummer, M., Sölch, C., Meisel, T., Still, M., Gruber, L., & Wolz, G. (2015). Emission of perfluoroalkyl carboxylic acids (PFCA) from heated surfaces made of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) applied in food contact materials and consumer products. Chemosphere, 129, 46-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2014.11.036