• MaxMalRichtig
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

And now to blow everybody’s minds, by visualizing that lemmy, mastodon and most other federated services are also inter-connected and can interact with one another.

• IslandGo@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

See, I keep seeing people say that the federated services can interact with each other but I have yet to understand what that means. I have a lemmy and a mastodon account but I can’t figure out how they’re supposed to connect.

• 0xD@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

As I understand it, that would mean that lemmy servers would load content from mastodon servers and you could see them from your server. However, lemmy does not implement that yet (they are/were just two developers, so need to prioritize).

• Landericus@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

This right here is my question as well. Currently I have created an account and login for Lemmy, Kbin (because there were some instances I couldn’t see from Lemmy even though my native instance isn’t being blocked or blocking any others), and Mastodon. Do I need a minimum of a Lemmy and Mastodon account to access everything or will one work across all the fediverse?

• boo@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

You don’t need different accounts. I have an account in Mastodon where I follow a community from Lemmy for example.

The thing is you have to manually search and follow communities and people from other services.

So if you go to Mastodon search bar and type “@linux@lemmy.ml” for example, it will show you the community content as a Mastodon profile and you can follow it and see the posts on your timeline.