I decided I would be willing to date a non-vegan since despite the conveniences and shared ethics of other vegans, it can be hard to find them in general, and maybe I could influence people positively, though probably without any expectation for them to go vegan (but still hoping society will move toward it one day anyway).

But online questions asking people (non-vegans) if they would date a vegan really shocked and surprised me when most of the answers were no, mostly for reasons of inconvenience and a fear of being pulled into veganism. This leaves me feeling like finding other vegans may be my only option after all. Is this somewhat accurate?

• lalo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I prefer to not talk about the direct topic of veganism on the first dates (unless I have to). Most people don’t know what’s veganism and are even scared of the word.

I’d rather know the person first and see if our values align with other questions, like: ‘do you think animals feel pain?’ or ‘what do you think about factory farming?’.

But I gotta tell you, dating vegans is probably much easier. It will be easier to get a consensus on where to go for dinner, it will be easier to go shopping and you won’t get invited to watch dog fighting and these kinds of stuff omnis do.