• @smileyhead
    link
    English
    75 months ago

It is a great app, but you cannot fit everyone into a single app.

Examples why I personally sometimes don’t want to use Signal:

• no native desktop app, just a half-baked Electron based thing
    • no versions for systems other than Android and iOS
    • requires phone number (common argument)
    • hard to integrate bots, notifications and automatic services for the future use
    • when Signal foundation do something stupid, it would mean me having to migrate all friends yet another time

Signal is super giga great, the cons list is short, but if we want everyone to use something it has to be an universal protocol, not one app.

• @Cocodapuf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15 months ago

no versions for systems other than Android and iOS

requires phone number (common argument)

Ok, those are legitimate complaints, and I suspect they’re related too. It would be nice to have a web client.

hard to integrate bots, notifications and automatic services for the future use

Personally, I’d say that’s a feature.

Signal is super giga great, the cons list is short, but if we want everyone to use something it has to be an universal protocol, not one app.

To be fair, signal is an open source protocol that anyone is free to implement. Signal protocol

• @smileyhead
        link
        English
        15 months ago

To be fair, signal is an open source protocol that anyone is free to implement.

“The Signal Protocol (formerly known as the TextSecure Protocol) is a non-federated cryptographic protocol that provides end-to-end encryption for voice and instant messaging conversations[…]”

Signal is an encryption protocol, not messaging protocol. My comment was about a messaging one like XMPP or Matrix.