• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I’m not sure if this is exclusively an ADHD or neurodivergent thing.

• blargerer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

basically no symptom of ADHD is exclusive to ADHD. But as a rule, executive dysfunction as described here will happen much more frequently and for much more mundane tasks for people with ADHD when compared to people without.

• Promethiel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It’s not exclusively an ADHD, neurotypical, OR neurodivergence trait. Severity and effects on life matter. It can be a trait associated with a myriad of executive dysfunction disorders (e.g. Autistic Inertia), ADHD, anxiety, and some personality disorders as well. Finally, an otherwise mentally neurotypical person will behave the same way given a big enough stressor.

Severity and effects on life, that’s the first measure to look at before asking “But everyone is like X or Y, sometimes”.

• virku@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I get like this with some spesific tasks. Other related tasks I breeze through quickly, but when I get reminded about the one I struggle like this with I just freeze.

As far as I know I am what they call neurotypical but I do wonder if I have some attention defisit at times.

• agent_flounder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Attention is really another aspect of executive function along with self motivation.

No doubt everyone sometimes struggles to get motivated to start something, once in a while. And no doubt people sometimes find it hard to focus on a thing. Or have trouble shifting their focus from one thing to another.

With ADHD, these and the many other symptoms tend to manifest quite frequently and have a significant impact on all areas of your life. Your career suffers, your relationships suffer, etc.

• Iron Lynx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

as someone whose diagnosis focusses on ASD with no specific reference to ADHD, this is still familiar.

My coverup is “I couldn’t find the opportunity” to people who know, and “it left my mind” to outsiders

• naught@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

It is a neurodivergent thing when it greatly impacts your life and happens frequently, basically.

Could be PDA which typically leans more toward autism disorders. There is also ODD which presents similarly to ADHD.