Hi everyone!

I’m trying to control a “dumb” led light strip segment with an ESP-01S. This is fairly low current, the strip will pull 150mA-200mA max (depends on… artistic? needs).

I have two NPN transistors (2N2222), one to control the 12V supply to the white “channel” and the other the red+blue (don’t need the green).

I had to pull-down the gates as I had some flickering, and it works perfectly if I manually connect the GPIOs after the ESP-01S boots.

The ESP will boot if I have the RX pin (GPIO03) pulled down on boot, but not if I pull down any of the others.

I’m not smart enough to come up with a way to have that extra pin I need to be high only during boot, while the gate it’s attached to needs to be pulled down…

Any thought, other than getting something with more IO pins?

• hardware26
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

As you said before power on capacitor is discharged. Right after power on capacitor is still discharged, so voltage on capacitor is zero, so reset pin has Vcc. With time capacitor gets charges and voltage across capacitor increases and reset voltage becomes closer and closer to ground, until it is ground. But it is important to consider what happens at power down too. At power down capacitor is charged. If power source becomes high impedance at power down, then reset pin will probably go down to zero in time but may take a bit time depending on what source exactly does. But if power source is connected to zero at power down reset pin will observe minus vcc and slowly go up to 0. If reset pin is sensitive it may be a good idea to protect it with a diode.