• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

In the case of fortnite, this isn’t really true. The issue of fortnite is the anti cheat system is not designed to play nice with Linux and allowing Linux without having the anti cheat on point would lead to players getting mad at cheaters and the collapse of fortnite. It’s happened to several games in the past that couldn’t prevent people from cheating.

• cobra89@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Easy anti-cheat stays on. Several other games have implemented it on Linux without problems. Easy anti-cheat made it as easy as the developer (Epic Games) checking a box to allow it to run on Linux. That’s what the person you’re responding to is referring to. It’s a recent development that happened earlier this year.

• Evening Newbs@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It’s happened to several games in the past that couldn’t prevent people from cheating.

And those games are…? There are plenty of games that have allowed anticheat to work on Linux and haven’t imploded, but I don’t know of a single one that has. Care to encourage enlighten me?

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I don’t specifically mean games that used anti cheats that ran on Linux. I just mean games that couldn’t keep from too many people cheating and it ruining the online aspect of a game. A couple different Diablo games come to mind. COD:Warzone got pummeled for a while. Fall Guys had a very rough season 1.