Belgium’s Foreigners’ Office has instructed dozens of municipalities to strip children born in Belgium to Palestinian parents of their Belgian nationality, L’Echo reports.

• Nepenthe@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Which seems to be what they’re taking advantage of here. Palestinians currently fall under Jordan’s nationality laws, which dictate that

Individuals born to a Jordanian father are automatically Jordanian nationals at birth regardless of birthplace. The status is not transferrable by descent to children of Jordanian mothers unless the fathers are stateless or their nationalities are unknown. For nationality purposes, Palestinian fathers are never recognized as stateless whether they hold citizenship of any state or not.

From my limited understanding, purely because they are the children of Palestinian refugees, Belgium can’t make them stateless.

• Aniki 🌱🌿@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Belgium can’t make them stateless.

Don’t gives states this latitude. They can do whatever the fuck they want. Laws aren’t real.

• Nepenthe@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Are you suggesting that Belgium may counter-rule that any adult stepping foot in their borders automatically loses Jordanian nationality, in direct opposition to the latter country’s own internationally recognized laws and to the immediate detriment of Belgium?

…Sure, that might as well happen. Nothing else makes any sense on this goddamn planet.

“Fuck you!” *foreign country forcibly claims you as a citizen* Wait, I think I just reinvented colonization