link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

So many publications are not worth reading.

Im all in for a revolution of science.

No more bullshitting. No “800 words” required.

If youre able to explain something in 5 sentences and put a table and plot with the results. Do it. No need to elaborate in 5 pages how fucked up your ability is to use thesaurus for synonyms.

Edit. Usually i read the headline and put the article into my bibtex library.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Agreed. The worst part to write for me are always the fucking "introduction"s, explain why we did this, why it deserves your attention and a lot of addedd fluff. I did it because I wanted to. Read it if you are interested, go away if not.

• Johanno@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

I had this problem for my bachelor thesis. I used some other paper about machine learning and changed some parameters. Others I didn’t touch because I didn’t knew what they do. Now I have to explain why I copied those parameters. I just wrote in testing they proved to be the best.

• Knedliky
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

5 pages?!??! In my discipline, we spend five pages just kissing reviewer 2’s behind and begging people to take an interest. Then we spend 20 pages citing everyone and their adviser and their adviser’s second cousin on the off chance that they’re married to reviewer 2. Then you get a copy-paste of the documentation of one of the five datasets that everyone uses.