• hessenjunge
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

According to Wikipedia it was an actual fear that homosexuality is contagious. That belief is probably alive and well amongst idiots.

I always thought it to be more akin to hydrophobia instead of arachnophobia - as in fat reacting to water. Now I think that is to take as fat is neither attacking water nor is it insane.

• hessenjunge
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

That’s a good question! Xenophobia has an evolutionary basis and exists in other species as well (e.g. chimpanzees). Encountering another group of humans (or chimps) might be dangerous. Being cautious is beneficial for survival.

However, when you add racism and are actively hostile to another group - is it still a Phobia? And if not or if it is not fear-motivated, what do you call it?

• Fushuan [he/him]@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I’d differentiate between xenophobia and racism. Being weary of something different is very different to feeling hate or acting against it.

A lot more people than would like to admit are a little bit xenophobic, but not racists.

• jaybone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

When the spiders start laying eggs in your eyeballs that’s when you will start sucking dicks.