I have been using Lemmy for 20 days, at first I opened an account at Lemmy.world because you can join without writing a text and waiting approval. I have been enjoying the experience overall but despite the admin teans best efforts Lemmy.world has been experiencing some serious performance issues. If you want to avoid that join a smaller instance, preferably hosted in your country. I joined discuss.tchncs.de today and everything is so much faster it has added benefit of being able to see beehaw.org posts too. It will improve not only your but all other Lemmy.world users experience too.

• RecursiveDescentOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

You can click the “use map” button on this site: https://fediverse.observer/. But if you can’t find a instance that you like that is close don’t worry. Because server closeness doesn’t matter nearly as much as servers being overloaded.

• Mr_Buscemi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Holy crap there are at least 12 different servers within 50 miles of me. Some have a few thousand subscribers lol.

Gotta love Houston. Thanks for linking that!

• HeHH1329@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

From the map, there are 21 fediverse servers in Taiwan but none of them are Lemmy. There are even fewer in China (only 4 based on this map if I select “All” in the option).

The center of Fediverse of Asia seems to be Singapore and Tokyo. AFAIK there aren’t any Chinese language content about Lemmy yet.

Also how can I know which servers are federated\defederated to most of the Lemmy instances?

• RecursiveDescentOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Servers are federated by default so unless it has been defederated by big instances you will have no problems. Important thing is instance you are joining having captcha/email verification because the ones without is suspectible to bot sign ups. So big instance might defederate with them to prevent bot attacks

• Sev@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah this doesn’t show lemmy instances? Only mastodon and other weird shit.

• rain_ar@possumpat.io
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

If you go to the drop down menu at the top, you can specify what you are looking for. Select “all” and Lemmy will be on the list.