I have been using Lemmy for 20 days, at first I opened an account at Lemmy.world because you can join without writing a text and waiting approval. I have been enjoying the experience overall but despite the admin teans best efforts Lemmy.world has been experiencing some serious performance issues. If you want to avoid that join a smaller instance, preferably hosted in your country. I joined discuss.tchncs.de today and everything is so much faster it has added benefit of being able to see beehaw.org posts too. It will improve not only your but all other Lemmy.world users experience too.

• Firipu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

All fine and dandy, but don’t just pick a random one close to you. Don’t forget that the admin basically has all your info. So do your due diligence and make sure to check you agree with all their policies etc.

• RecursiveDescentOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah! of course when I say a small instance, I don’t mean a random instance with 10 users. You should check it out before you join. There is a lot of great instances with ~1000 users. Maybe should add it to the post.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Don’t forget that the admin basically has all your info

What info? Lemmy is a public forum - anyone can see anything you post. Many Lemmy instances don’t even require an email address to sign up.

• Zikeji@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

At the very least they would get access to your IP address (assuming you aren’t ok a VPN/proxy) and browsing habits. Whether they take the steps to log those in a usable format and do something with it? I wouldn’t say the risk is much different on an instance with 1000 users vs 100.

My main concern would be instance longevity.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

At the very least they would get access to your IP address (assuming you aren’t ok a VPN/proxy)

A public IP address is (by definition) public. If you’re behind CG-NAT you don’t get your own public IP and if you have a public IP but not a static one then restarting your router will change it. I don’t think there are many cases where an instance knowing your public IP is an issue. Lemmy instances hotlink media from other instances so many different instances get your IP just from browsing Lemmy.

My main concern would be instance longevity

This is a different conversation but if your account is meaningful then this should be a real concern. A month ago there were about 80 instances, now there are nearly 1000. How many of those will still exist in a year?

• Zikeji@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

I am aware of how a public facing IP address works, and how little information it does give, by itself. It is still a privacy concern, and can be used in conjunction with other data to launch social engineering attacks or to help narrow down other data.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Possibly, but you don’t have to be an admin of the instance the user is on to get their IP if thats what you’re trying to do.

• Poob@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The biggest issue is that you’re giving them your email address and then posting info online. If you use your main email and then post something inappropriate or private, someone could easily leak that info. Someone who posts nudes without their face for example. A malicious admin could easily try to blackmail you with that info. Is it going to happen? Probably not, but why risk it?

• Dave@lemmy.nz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

You don’t need to provide an email address to sign up at most of the big instances. I think lemmy.world is the exception. Even your instance lemmy.ca does not require an email address.

If you really want to provide one, you could use a service that does email forwarding. Some examples are https://simplelogin.io (owned by Proton Mail), and Firefox Relay (Owned by Mozilla, makers of the Firefox browser). These both have free tiers. There is also https://duckduckgo.com/email/ from the people who make the privacy focused search engine DuckDuckGo. That one I believe gives you unlimited new randomised email addresses for free. Very low attachment size limit but great for something like Lemmy.

• Poob@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

You’re right that you don’t have to on most large instances, and that you can make burner email accounts if you have to.

But this post was simply about telling people to be careful of smaller, less known instances. The links you provided are excellent ways to protect yourself, even outside of Lemmy.

• FunkyClown@lemmy.fail
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Close to you? I’m running my own instance in France and I live in Australia. It works great. The problem is overloaded instances.

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Close to you helps in general, it’s not Lemmy specific. Though the Lemmy web ui caches stuff heavily so it might not be that much of a concern.

• FunkyClown@lemmy.fail
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Agreed that close helps in general but 200-300ms isn’t really that noticeable unless it’s something where latency is important. I’m also surprised that some of the larger instances aren’t using Cloudflare for caching. If things like images etc… are cached all over the world then I doubt anyone would notice any speed issues.

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

300 ms is a lot for a website. It feels slow. Cloudflare could help with traffic but I think the main culprit here is the database.

• RecursiveDescentOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah being overloaded is definitely the biggest factor but servers being close also helps especially when you have a slow Internet connection. That is why I added bring close part as “preferably”

• LessQuit@feddit.nu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Thank you for this. Just wish there was a way to migrate account to still keep posts/comments/subs/etc but oh wrll. Faster now at least

• Xtallll@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There are feature requests on the gethub for Lemmy to add the ability to move users and communities between instances. It comes up often enough it’s just a question of how to implement it and when.

• Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

In order to switch instances hosted on a different server, but keep your account history such as comments, votes, posts, saved posts, etc.

Only way to switch instances right now is to make a new account from scratch on that instance.

• Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

If you want to switch instances.

There’s no guarantee your instance will be around forever, they are all created by random people across the world running their own servers at their own cost. People may get bored/too busy and move on, can’t afford it anymore, etc.

Also no guarantee the same people will run the instance forever, could get sold/given to new admins who ruin it somehow.

Server could get overloaded with too many people/content and not maintained properly resulting in poor quality/speeds.

Lots of reasons you may need to switch instances, would be nice if you didn’t lose 5 years worth of account history and be forced to make a new one.

• LessQuit@feddit.nu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I have already setup my main account with subscriptions I like and I would ideally liked to keep my posts / comments…?

• Books@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Can I migrate my account to a new instance? Or will i have user logins all over the fediverse?

• OptimusPrimeDownfall
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

For right now, I believe there is no way to move a user account so you will need to create a new one. Can be the same name, tho!

I believe there is a feature in the works to be able to move accounts between instances but I am unsure of where in the development pipeline it is.

• The best way Ive found is to copy the html of your community list and paste it into an online tool that pulls the hyperlinks out of it, then make an excel spreadsheet to change the URL of the community to the https format so it’s easier to search. The instances also aren’t 100% compatible. Like I can subscribe to kbin and Fedia on my larger instance account but not on my self hosted one.

• OptimusPrimeDownfall
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah, Lemmy being in a very “alpha” state makes some of the things a user wants to do difficult.

• Books@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, that will be nice if you can migrate your name to other instances… Cheers!

• RecursiveDescentOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

You can click the “use map” button on this site: https://fediverse.observer/. But if you can’t find a instance that you like that is close don’t worry. Because server closeness doesn’t matter nearly as much as servers being overloaded.

• Mr_Buscemi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Holy crap there are at least 12 different servers within 50 miles of me. Some have a few thousand subscribers lol.

Gotta love Houston. Thanks for linking that!

• HeHH1329@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

From the map, there are 21 fediverse servers in Taiwan but none of them are Lemmy. There are even fewer in China (only 4 based on this map if I select “All” in the option).

The center of Fediverse of Asia seems to be Singapore and Tokyo. AFAIK there aren’t any Chinese language content about Lemmy yet.

Also how can I know which servers are federated\defederated to most of the Lemmy instances?

• RecursiveDescentOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Servers are federated by default so unless it has been defederated by big instances you will have no problems. Important thing is instance you are joining having captcha/email verification because the ones without is suspectible to bot sign ups. So big instance might defederate with them to prevent bot attacks

• Sev@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah this doesn’t show lemmy instances? Only mastodon and other weird shit.

• rain_ar@possumpat.io
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

If you go to the drop down menu at the top, you can specify what you are looking for. Select “all” and Lemmy will be on the list.

• qwamqwamqwam@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh, absolutely. I think that’s the ideal state, everybody hosting their own local instance for a couple hundred people, all indexed with everyone else. Long way to go before we get there though.

• yoichi@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

From what I understand about Lemmy, the only way to disable signups completely is by defederating. Meaning, you would not be able to view other communities from other Lemmy instances like .world or beehaw.

To get around this, you can switch to application signup like beehaw and just ignore/reject every application but this would also mean that anyone can view your instance as a guest. Like you can go to lemmy.world and view posts and comments without logging in

Atleast, that’s what I understand. Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I host a small instance in the US. I think the data center is in New Jersey.

https://thelemmy.club

You’ll have to verify your email (I only have that on because we lost captcha support with 0.18, I’ll turn it off next update. Feel free to use a burner email if you want)

• _MoveSwiftly@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hello there, and welcome to our community! I hope you like it in here.

Could you please include some body text as to why should people know this, and how would that help them? It’s our second rule. Thank you :)

• Im_old@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So if I host my instance but subscribe to communities on lemmy.world do I actually lessen the load on lemmy.world because it only has to deal with the API calls from my instance instead of having to serve me a full fat UI? (damn that was a long sentence!)

• frozen@lemmy.frozeninferno.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I’m hosting a tiny instance for myself a few friends that serves as a reliable gateway to communities and content from bigger instances. Sign up approvals are limited, but I’m open to a few public users.

Currently email verification is enabled, but feel free to use a burner. This will be disabled in favor of captchas when 0.18.1 drops.

• gudtgwhzf@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Great advice. One thing to look out for is the language settings under the profile on that instance though. I also signed up to a new instance and my feed seemed less populated and more outdated. I noticed that the languages that I read were not checked in the profile. Once I changed this the experience was significantly better.

• Kissaki@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

In what way is it more GDPR ready than other instances? I assume it uses the same server software?

• Rik@laguna.chat
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

By having an actual policy. That lists the usage of data, 3rd parties and the responsibilities of the instance owner.