I have been using Lemmy for 20 days, at first I opened an account at Lemmy.world because you can join without writing a text and waiting approval. I have been enjoying the experience overall but despite the admin teans best efforts Lemmy.world has been experiencing some serious performance issues. If you want to avoid that join a smaller instance, preferably hosted in your country. I joined discuss.tchncs.de today and everything is so much faster it has added benefit of being able to see beehaw.org posts too. It will improve not only your but all other Lemmy.world users experience too.

• LessQuit@feddit.nu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Thank you for this. Just wish there was a way to migrate account to still keep posts/comments/subs/etc but oh wrll. Faster now at least

• Xtallll@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There are feature requests on the gethub for Lemmy to add the ability to move users and communities between instances. It comes up often enough it’s just a question of how to implement it and when.

• Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

In order to switch instances hosted on a different server, but keep your account history such as comments, votes, posts, saved posts, etc.

Only way to switch instances right now is to make a new account from scratch on that instance.

• Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

If you want to switch instances.

There’s no guarantee your instance will be around forever, they are all created by random people across the world running their own servers at their own cost. People may get bored/too busy and move on, can’t afford it anymore, etc.

Also no guarantee the same people will run the instance forever, could get sold/given to new admins who ruin it somehow.

Server could get overloaded with too many people/content and not maintained properly resulting in poor quality/speeds.

Lots of reasons you may need to switch instances, would be nice if you didn’t lose 5 years worth of account history and be forced to make a new one.

• LessQuit@feddit.nu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I have already setup my main account with subscriptions I like and I would ideally liked to keep my posts / comments…?