I have been using Lemmy for 20 days, at first I opened an account at Lemmy.world because you can join without writing a text and waiting approval. I have been enjoying the experience overall but despite the admin teans best efforts Lemmy.world has been experiencing some serious performance issues. If you want to avoid that join a smaller instance, preferably hosted in your country. I joined discuss.tchncs.de today and everything is so much faster it has added benefit of being able to see beehaw.org posts too. It will improve not only your but all other Lemmy.world users experience too.

• FunkyClown@lemmy.fail
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Close to you? I’m running my own instance in France and I live in Australia. It works great. The problem is overloaded instances.

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Close to you helps in general, it’s not Lemmy specific. Though the Lemmy web ui caches stuff heavily so it might not be that much of a concern.

• FunkyClown@lemmy.fail
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Agreed that close helps in general but 200-300ms isn’t really that noticeable unless it’s something where latency is important. I’m also surprised that some of the larger instances aren’t using Cloudflare for caching. If things like images etc… are cached all over the world then I doubt anyone would notice any speed issues.

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

300 ms is a lot for a website. It feels slow. Cloudflare could help with traffic but I think the main culprit here is the database.

• RecursiveDescentOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah being overloaded is definitely the biggest factor but servers being close also helps especially when you have a slow Internet connection. That is why I added bring close part as “preferably”