I have been using Lemmy for 20 days, at first I opened an account at Lemmy.world because you can join without writing a text and waiting approval. I have been enjoying the experience overall but despite the admin teans best efforts Lemmy.world has been experiencing some serious performance issues. If you want to avoid that join a smaller instance, preferably hosted in your country. I joined discuss.tchncs.de today and everything is so much faster it has added benefit of being able to see beehaw.org posts too. It will improve not only your but all other Lemmy.world users experience too.

• OptimusPrimeDownfall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For right now, I believe there is no way to move a user account so you will need to create a new one. Can be the same name, tho!

I believe there is a feature in the works to be able to move accounts between instances but I am unsure of where in the development pipeline it is.

• The best way Ive found is to copy the html of your community list and paste it into an online tool that pulls the hyperlinks out of it, then make an excel spreadsheet to change the URL of the community to the https format so it’s easier to search. The instances also aren’t 100% compatible. Like I can subscribe to kbin and Fedia on my larger instance account but not on my self hosted one.

• OptimusPrimeDownfall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, Lemmy being in a very “alpha” state makes some of the things a user wants to do difficult.

• Books@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, that will be nice if you can migrate your name to other instances… Cheers!