• Rikj000
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Sure you can’t prepare students for everything life will throw at them.

But right now they don’t even teach basic economics, like what is deficit spending, what is fractional banking, and how it lead to hyper inflation every time throughout the history of humanity.

That’s what I call keeping people intentionally dumb about the topic.

• xkforce@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I am a tutor that works with highschool and college students. Do you have any idea how often I find out the reason why a student is struggling with new material is because 10 years ago they missed something very important and the concepts that they don’t understand have been piling up ever since because of that? If you guessed “depressingly often” you are correct. You cannot teach new material if the foundation of knowledge and skills it is based on has cracks in it.

• Rikj000
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Shouldn’t you report that to the head of school?

He should be able to know in which grade that topic should have been teached.

And then slap the corresponding teacher on the wrist for not doing their job correctly?

• xkforce@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I tutor remotely which means I get students from all over the country and outside of it. It would be infeasible for me to track down every school that failed them and personally inform them of that. I do what I can to fix things but it is a lot like trying to put out the sun by firing a squirt gun at it.

• Rikj000
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Oh I see.

Still thank you for teaching the next generation.

It’s under appreciated,
            but oh so important work that you’re doing,
            keep it up! :)