• wantd2B1ofthestrokes
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

It should be left up to individual instances or user who to block. I personally think the integration is great

• whatwhatwhatwhat@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I disagree with your opinion of the integration with Threads, but I agree with you that it should be up to the individual instances and/or users.

Meta is a horrible company and I want nothing to do with them, but the whole point of the fediverse is that it’s decentralized. Anyone can spin up an instance if Lemmy or Mastodon and choose what other instances they federate with. If we were to somehow ban Meta’s instances, we create a pretty sketchy precedent.

• wantd2B1ofthestrokes
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

For sure. Part of me would want to take a sort of principled stand and not fuck with anything meta. But if I can follow people on threads from Mastadon, that would be pretty nice, and I think that integration would lend Mastadon and federation in general some legitimacy to the normies (for lack of a better word).

• HiT3k@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

Exactly, and that’s what’s so stupid about all the comments referencing “gullibles on the fediverse” or the downvoting of the commenter above.

I would love to be able to follow my favorite musical artists or my city’s account from Mastadon. That will never happen until Twitter finally dies completely and those accounts move to Threads. And yeah, who knows, maybe they’ll come to Mastadon instead, but like you said, that won’t happen unless Mastadon has legitimacy and reach amongst normies and that won’t happen without federation with a major corporate player.

I’m sorry to all the dramatic Fediverse zealots, but that’s just the truth.