I’m looking to replace my portable modem with a GL.iNet router because I saw that they claim to use OpenWRT which is a open source firmware.

My question is:

Is their OpenWRT version actually reliable?

• Chemical WonkaOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

but in your opinion Do you think their proprietary UI could be a risk for privacy /security ?

• StarkZarn@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I haven’t done a code review so I can’t answer that question with facts. I do think however, that anything that bootstraps a FLOSS framework like openwrt could easily be a risk to privacy.

You use privacy and security interchangeably here. They are not the same.

• catacomb@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The biggest issue most people have with it is the dynamic DNS feature, which is automatically enabled and contacts their server to create the record. If you turn this off before connecting the router to the internet, you’re probably good.

The simplified DoH client also only allows either Cloudflare or NextDNS, which aren’t the most privacy-oriented options. Still, it’s possible to set up your own.

Otherwise I’ve never heard of anything major; the devices are cheap and reliable. I’ve had one running constantly for years and only had to reboot it manually once.