Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve been using next cloud forever, and I fully endorse anyone doing any level of self hosting should have their own. It’s just a self-hosted Swiss army knife, and I personally find it even easier to use than something like SharePoint.

I had a recurring issue where my logs would show “MYSQL server has gone away”. It generally wasn’t doing anything, but occasionally would cause large large file uploads to fail or other random failures that would stop quickly after.

The only thing I did is I went in and doubled wait_timeout in my /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf

After that, my larger file uploads went through properly.

It might not be the best solution but it did work so I figured I’d share.

• tofubl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Here’s a cool article I found on Nextcloud performance improvements, and connecting Redis over Unix sockets gave me a more substantial performance improvement than migrating to Postgres. Very happy I fell down this rabbit hole today.

To note if you’re following the tutorial in the link above, and for people using the nextcloud:stable container together with the recommended cron container:

• the redis configuration (host, port, password, …) need to be set in config/config.php, as well as config/redis.config.php
    • the cron container needs to receive the same /etc/localtime and /etc/timezone volumes the app container did, as well as the volumes_from: tmp
    • haplo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Thank you for the link and the Redis pointers. I should double check that my Nextcloud setup is using Redis, it might well be misconfigured.

• sj_zero@lotide.fbxl.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

If you do end up using postgresql, over time the database could end up getting fragmented and that can lead to increased latency, so routine pg_repacks imo are a worthwhile thing to schedule.