• Chemical Wonka
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

After Apple , Sony is the hardware tech company that I hate the most. They have always had retrograde and protectionist thinking with their products like Nintendo.Betamax x VHS war was a great example

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I wonder how much of the world’s resources Sony has poured into their own proprietary formats that didn’t catch on because they kept them proprietary, from Betamax to Memory Stick.

• Ansis@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Then again, the Xperias are pretty damn good and use stock Android without all the bloat that other manufacturers add.

• tocopherol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

If anyone reading this is considering cheaper Sony bluetooth headphones versus the comparable Anker product, go with Anker! The speaker and a few models of headphones I’ve used were much better and cheaper than the comparable Sony product.

• HACKthePRISONS@kolektiva.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I’m on the Anker a3212 but I should have gone with the wi1000x: I actually wanted ambient passthrough. the difference was like 8 or 9 times the price so I’m still very happy with anker

• tocopherol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I have Samson headphones that I notice the build/material quality is a bit nicer than Anker, I had the Life Q20 and they fell apart, but that was after something like two years of rough use, although the actual speaker and electronics work fine and holds a charge. But yeah for the price I haven’t seen any other brand perform as well.

• Reddfugee42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Their professional CD audio recorders only take CDRs with special “generation bits” in some desperate stupid attempt to reduce copying even though everybody else’s CD recorders don’t care about the bit.

They invented their stupid proprietary memory sticks even though SD cards were cheaper and more readily available.

The power plugs for their devices of course are not barrel plugs so you can’t replace them with a cheap and easily available replacement.

They’re complete assholes to their customers.

• drathvedro@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I’d say the HP is at least on par with them. They’re software locking which RAM or WiFi modules you can use in their laptops and theyuse as much proprietary components as possible in their desktops and servers, just because they can. And that’s not even talking about printers…

4th place I think would go to LG, but thankfully they’re not big enough to be noticeable

• Welt@lazysoci.al
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

All Japanese tech and adjacent companies are so extremely corporatised. Panasonic, Toshiba, Fuji, Mitsubishi etc. They protect their profits through proprietary connectors and firmware, and the overworked Japanese populace puts up with it over there. Where it’s for an international market, that’s made clear by the fact that there’s almost never a Japanese language option (see: games and other media that protects the corporations’ IP for Japanese voice actors). Living there I was always disturbed by how the government let this happen and there was no social movement to do anything about it. The zaibatsu are still in control of the country, of course.

• NaoPb@eviltoast.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

To be honest, the real problem with betamax was that Sony never thought about longer tape lengths. They just designed a cartridge and then got in trouble when they had to catch up with VHS when VHS offered longer play time. People wanted to record a football game when they were away and you just couldn’t do that with early Betamax. And even later on, VHS stayed supreme in playback length. Even though video quality was never as good as Betamax. I guess this also goes to show is that most people don’t care about the quality of a device but the usability of a device. Which brings us right back and why people would want to use bluetooth audio even if it is a sub optimal experience.