I don’t have a google account and don’t want one and really prefer to not upload my contacts to someone else’s server as a matter of principle. I have a personal nextcloud server so could use that if it helps, but it’s not clear that it does.

I tried exporting the old contacts as a .vcf file and importing the .vcf to the new phone, and that MOSTLY worked, but it seems to have lost the labels on the phone numbers. E.g. my entry for XYZ Bank had separate phone numbers for payments, credit card, and so on. Those got transferred to the new phone as home, mobile, work. I.e. .vcf doesn’t seem to handle custom labels.

Is there some kind of workaround? The vcf scheme seems like about the best, except for the issue of losing the contact labels.

To complicate matters a bit, I’ve been using the new phone for a couple weeks now, so I have added or edited some contacts on it. That means if I do another transfer, I’d prefer to not wipe out the contacts database on the new phone, though if that is unavoidable I guess I can survive.

Old phone is Android 7 and new phone is Android 13 if that matters. I haven’t examined the .vcf file in an editor but I guess I should try that.

Thanks for any advice.

• laughingsquirrel
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I don’t know if this will keep the labels, but you can try to sync your contacts via DAVx5 to your nextcloud instance. Use https://f-droid.org/packages/at.bitfire.davdroid on both phones, this app syncs calendars, contacts and notes. In the setup it should be enough to login via URL and credentials. If you run into problems with this setup, let me know, I can try to assist you :)

Once you got that set up, it is a neat way to keep your contacts backed up and synced with other devices like a PC. If you want to dive further into the syncing without relying on Nextcloud, I recommend Baikal.

Good luck!