Hi all! I defended my Ph.D. thesis back in 2019 and I also served as the creator and moderator for the subreddit r/FluidMechanics for a long time. I think with that I have gathered enough experience and courage to answer some of your queries. Some broad topics that I can answer questions on are:

• computation fluid mechanics
  • scientific programming and HPC
  • nonlinear shallow water equations
  • statistical description of turbulence: spectra, energy budget etc.
  • experimental methods: PIV
  • stratified turbulence
  • academia
  • navigating your career pre- and post-Ph.D.

Ask away!

• count_duckula
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have been wanting to learn about computational fluid mechanics because I think fluid flow simulations look cool and would be a great programming project. But at the same time, water never really behaves like water in video games. I imagine because it is a hard problem to solve. What resources (textbooks, videos, etc.) would you recommend for someone who is interested in learning about fluid mechanics but has only dealt with fluids in an introductory engineering course many years ago?

• jadelordOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

In games what I think they do is a technique called smooth partical hydrodynamics, which simply put does not solve the Navier Stokes equations (the preferred classical model for fluids), but moves solid spheres around which collide and interact.

The right way would be to solve the full 3D NS equations, but like you said it is very expensive to do. But doing a 2D simulation on a laptop is very much possible. This hands on series is a good start

https://lorenabarba.com/blog/cfd-python-12-steps-to-navier-stokes/

There are also other models like a lattice boltzmann equations which this web app solves

https://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/fluids/

For more detailed study a theoretical book would be Fluid Mechanics by Kundu and Cohen and a computational book would be CFD 3 volume series by Hoffmann and Chiang.

• count_duckula
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks! The Jupyer notebooks seem like a good starting point. I had used Burger’s equation but it was from the point of view of using it as a nonlinear dynamical system for state estimation, rather than from a fluid mechanics understanding of it. Are the textbooks you mentioned the recommended standards for this field?

• jadelordOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Kundu and Cohen is defintely universally acclaimed to hit the right balance between being concise, readable while allowing the reader to gain a deep understanding of the fundamentals.

Hoffman is a good book for understanding some numerical methods, but there may be other books.