• Joker
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

As a fan of a division rival, I am thrilled. Get this man out of the division and hopefully out of the conference. I consider him the best coach of all time - even better than Shula. Unlike Shula, Belichick built his first dynasty in the era of free agency and a salary cap, although that came to be a benefit later when good players started going there on veteran minimum deals.

Aaron Hernandez, deflategate and spygate aside - and, yes, they are big ones - the Patriots under Belichick were an organization with class and sportsmanship. You always knew you were in for a tough, physical game, but they played fair and showed respect to opponents. You were never concerned that they were out there trying to injure somebody. You never looked at them on the schedule, dreading the game because it would be full of cheap shots.

I remember that rivalry with Peyton Manning and the Colts. The Patriots would put a hit on a guy and then help him up.

There’s all this talk about how Belichick didn’t win anything without Brady. There’s no way either one of them wins that many Super Bowls without each other. Brady is the best quarterback of all time - probably the best football player of all time - and Belichick is the greatest defensive mind the game of football has ever seen.

I don’t expect to ever see a tandem like those two or an organization like the Patriots again in my lifetime.

• RandAlThor@lemmy.caM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

He studied the history of the league well. He had said at one point that some of the great coaches cheated and it’s always been a part of the game.

• Joker
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I believe that. Personally, I consider Gregg Williams to be the worst or at least among the worst. It’s one thing to look for an edge within the grey area or beyond and it’s another to try to take players out of the game. I was looking around for other cheaters and found a lot more than I expected. Don Shula is in there plenty.

https://yourteamcheats.com/cheaters/