Some article websites (I’m looking at msn.com right now, as an example) show the first page or so of article content and then have a “Continue Reading” button, which you must click to see the rest of the article. This seems so ridiculous, from a UX perspective–I know how to scroll down to continue reading, so why hide the text and make me click a button, then have me scroll? Why has this become a fairly common practice?

• FuglyDuck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      84 months ago

That’s exactly how that works.

Increased traffic to your website increases the value of ad space on that website and they pay you more for it; the “read more” button is one tool to demonstrate MSN or whoever actually has traffic.

It’s far from the only tool, but it is one tool, and is part of the analytics they’re running. It also shows some amount of engagement, that people are actually readin the article rather than clicking on it and forgetting about.

• @1rre
        link
        04 months ago

I mean the best way to increase the value of your ad space is to have a small but visible amount and to produce content good enough that advertisers come to you, rather than the other way around

The issue there is that it takes effort to produce good content and it’s easier to just paraphrase existing/ai generate new content, which results in a “read more” button (unrelated to a “enter your email to read more” option which is 100% for advertising as a replacement for 3rd party cookies, and allows for users to see and decide exactly what websites to share their identity with as an active decision, rather than shadier stuff behind the scenes like cookies or fingerprinting where they’re tracking you without you even knowing, so expect to see a lot more of it as they go away)

• FuglyDuck
          link
          fedilink
          English
          24 months ago

And why does good content cause advertisers to come to you?

Traffic. The more people come through your site, the more valuable the ad-space, the more they’re willing to pay.

Good content in niche areas will also increase value, yes, but there’s a reason websites pay for SEO services…

• @1rre
            link
            14 months ago

Yes, but not as exclusively as you might think. There’s an increasing number of manually vetted “premium” sites (for better or worse, as it reduces SEO spam while also making it harder for good but niche content to break through) which provide actually good content, as irritated people looking for a sentence in a multipage article aren’t going to look kindly on ads, whereas engaged people reading good content will