Hello everyone!

I have a small OrangePi running some small services on it (some with Docker and some without Docker).

And I’d love to know how do you backup your single-board computers.

Do you just rsync the system to a storage server ? Do you plug in a USB drive and rsync on it ? Do you save only the important data or the whole system ?

For now my SBC is not backed-up and I’d like to get a good backup solution up and running quickly! (I don’t trust SD cards to last long…)

I have access to USB drives and disks and also another big server with 20TB of storage which I can make the backup to if needed!

Thanks for your help !

• DontNoodles
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I am still figuring it out since it is my hobby and I’m unable to devote much time to it. But I think it will be something like Ubuntu live disks which enabled you to try Ubuntu by running it from a DVD. You could run anything like web server, save files, settings etc. Only they would not persist after a reboot since every thing was saved in RAM. Only here it’ll be a write locked SD card instead of a DVD.

I’m also sure there must be a name for it and step by step tutorial somewhere. If only Google was not so bad these days…