Any suggestions on alternatives for blocking adds?

• Chewy
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Sadly it works for YouTube. Yesterday I noticed a friend disabled uBlock Origin on YouTube. They don’t care that there’s workarounds, they’d rather watch 2 min ads than read up about something they are not interested in.

• CosmoNova@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Did you tell your friend ads waste far more time than the 3-5 second delay you get on Firefox with ublock? I mean, I get someone would hesitate to install another extension like User-Agent Switcher because you don’t really want to trust it, but even then just using ublock is still faster than watching ads.

• CosmoNova@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

As I said User-Agent switcher for Firefox gets rid of the 5 second wait before the site loads.

• prole@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

Yes, and my question was: using the user-agent switcher, which user agent do you switch to in order to get rid of the 5 second wait before the site loads?

• CosmoNova@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

Just select Chrome. Google uses the delay specifically on Firefox. I only enable it for Youtube and Gmail URLs because it can mess with other websites.

• Overzeetop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

If I spend half an hour to find an implement a workaround (because finding ways around YT’s advertising is not my hobby) then I’d have to watch 60 unskippable 30 second ads to break even, every single time they upgrade their cat-and-mouse. I don’t watch that much youtube in a month, probably not in 3 months.