• Karyoplasma
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Ads are so backwards in general.

Why would I trust a brand just because they inconvenience me for 30 seconds before I can watch a YouTube video I’m actually interested in? Or the branding that interrupts me reading an article with a “trendy and hip”, horribly made auto-play clip that bolsters an audio volume level so high, it almost deafens me?

I almost actively avoid products that I see advertisement for on a daily basis because they piss me off so much.

I get wanting to promote your product and it’s not the company’s fault that many places aggressively spam ads in your face to nickle and dime their user base.

I really feel like ad revenue should not be based on how many ads you show, but how much return the advertiser gets. Google’s ad service has a return of about 4%, which means for every 100 bucks a company pays to Google to advertise a product, they can expect to recoup 4. I dunno how that is even worth it.

• PloKoon@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

And yet, it continues… I think they’re thinking that brand recognition is all that matters and that eventually you’ll come around and get Geico or Use some product that has been assaulting you for months simply because you’ve seen it enough and it’s stuck in your mind. Honestly, I would rather have a customer associate good thoughts with my brand, but no one seems to ascribe to that thought anymore…