link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

That ensures a baseline of freedom

that’s not how this works… nothing about android’s licensing could make it impossible to make it impossible to not lock it down

• GigglyBobble@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

nothing about android’s licensing could make it impossible to make it impossible to not lock it down

Sorry, I cannot decipher that. If you mean, this doesn’t prevent phone makers to lock down their bootloaders: sure. But I just need to find one that doesn’t and by an open source Android there will always be an image to flash. At least it’s infinitely better than Apple’s walled garden.

• Giooschi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

But I just need to find one that doesn’t and by an open source Android there will always be an image to flash.

Unfortunately sooner or later Play Integrity will make this unfeasible in practice.

• squid_slime@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

For the regular user that wants to use banking I will agree, eventually all the large corporate application devs will be sold on play integration as a safety feature but its not hard to see that its a eco system and offers little more than locking installs in with googles walled garden.