Context: Even though Chromium has native support for AVIF, a very nice image format, Microsoft goes out of their way to remove it from Edge, which is a chromium fork. Jpeg XL (JXL) (not to be confused with Jpeg (JPG) or Jpeg 2000 (jpg2k) ) is another nice image format, which, IIRC, is only supported in Firefox.

• Wistful
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

What would it take for JXL to become supported and more widespread? Who even uses it currently?

• Lojcs@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Someone needs to make a website that uses jxl heavily then contact a journalist about a weird website they found that opens 10x faster in safari vs chrome

• renzev@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I said it in another comment, but I’m actually working on a website right now, which happens to lazy-load a lot of images with Javascript. I think I’ll store all the images in webp, avif, and JXL formats, and have the javascript code automatically load the one which is supported by the browser. Hopefully if it takes off, it can promote support for modern image formats!

• VBB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

WebKit has support for it (used in Safari and Epiphany). Last time I checked firefox didn’t have support. There is an issue in chromium bug tracker to add support for jxl where Adobe, Intel, Krita and probably others representatives said that they are insterested in the format. But this issue was closed because “no big companies are interested in jxl”.