• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

i mean it’s effectively just cloning, which doesn’t transfer any memories made after the last scan, since it… isn’t magic…

i think dark matter is the closest i’ve seen to a show that actually acknowledges that this is how that kind of tech would work, and it’s a damn shame it was cancelled…

i imagine that in the trek universe the tech would be extremely regulated, probably only allowed to be used in situations where people are very likely to die and thus circumventing the death entirely. Now, with away missions that becomes more difficult as you can’t strictly know when someone’s actually dead, and i’d imagine the federation would look very dimly upon having two copies of people walking around…

• boeman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

i’d imagine the federation would look very dimly upon having two copies of people walking around…

They seem to be okay with Riker and Boimler having transporter clones.

• andrew@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s not cloning though. Cloning creates a person with an identical genetic blueprint.

Rebuilding someone at the molecular level will create a person entirely identical, including cellular damage, scars, etc.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

what you just said is what 90% of the population considers cloning, words can have informal definitions.

• andrew@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Informal definitions that aren’t very useful when discussing effects and implications of the technical details.