> NSA officials told Wyden that not only is the intelligence agency purchasing data on Americans located in the US but that it also bought Americans’ Internet metadata.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/01/nsa-finally-admits-to-spying-on-americans-by-purchasing-sensitive-data/

Why do you need to spy, when you can simply… buy?

We gave up our data willingly and made it easy for all the 3-letter agencies of the world. We only have ourselves to blame. 🤷‍♂️

(Link HT: @technology)

• @OpticalMoose
    link
    English
    84 months ago

Seriously. Why act like the NSA are the bad guys? It’s literally their job. They would be negligent in their duties if they didn’t do it.

If people want more privacy, they need to change the fucking laws.

• @Ep1cFac3pa1m@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      134 months ago

Oh I’m no fan of the NSA purchasing untold amounts of data about Americans, but seriously how can you blame them for it when the data is readily and legally available for purchase by pretty much anyone? These datasets shouldn’t exist in the first place.

• Snot Flickerman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Yeah, “we can do it because there aren’t laws against it” is pretty much the worst justification for anything unethical.

But I guess what do you expect when a large amount of the world equates “legal” with “moral and ethical.”

• @OpticalMoose
        link
        English
        24 months ago

I’m with ya on that. I could rant on and on about privacy, but this ain’t the place for that, I guess. The gov’t promised if we let ISPs and telcos turn over our data they could catch all the terrorists, and now 20 years later they can’t even catch kids making prank phone calls (SWATting) or telemarketers.

I guess it’s true, people get the leadership they deserve.

• cmat273
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Bro what? No. Why can’t we be mad at both the NSA and the fact that it’s available to purchase?

• @OpticalMoose
        link
        English
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Be mad at them all you want. But being mad at them doesn’t change anything.

Edit: Sorry. I didn’t mean for that to come out snippy. My point is there’s nothing wrong with being mad. It’s the action that gets results.