• Cratermaker
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’ve already left, but seeing them marching towards an IPO makes me even happier with my decision. I just fear that the mountains of helpful troubleshooting and advice on Reddit will be locked away forever soon, while the rest of the web falls to SEO and AI-generated nonsense text…

• LittleBorat2@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Reddit Was the only site Google could effectively search. Rip googling questions and adding reddit.

• AnonStoleMyPants@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Man, and it works great. It is waaaaay more common to find good answers to a question from a bunch of randoms on the Internet than trying to get an actual answer from a random website. Sometimes you find bs but you can usually quite quickly filter it out, and it gives a good basis from which to then continue to search on the topic.

• Death_Equity@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I hate that Reddit is so good for answering questions. The alternatives are usually AI written unhelpful trash.

• Admetus@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

It was speedier and usually more effective than forums which crept at a snails pace.

• Empathy [he/him]@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’m trying out Kagi a little bit, and it has a federation search mode of some kind. I tried it for a search and it gave me results from Lemmy.

I don’t know yet how Kagi compares to Google in terms of results quality, I barely used it so far. It’s pretty expensive though.