With all of the sketchy products Amazon has and their bad practices, I’m really considering getting rid of Amazon. The only thing I will really miss is the fast shipping.

My reasoning is that I don’t use Prime benefits outside of shipping because I don’t play live service games anymore, and lots of local stores price match.

For those of you who have ditched Amazon(or not), what’s your reasoning and advice?

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

• RAM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I’ve worked in shipping for a couple months and I can only say this: People should order way less stuff online or make sure they are using an ethical shipping company (if they even exist).

the industry prays on young people (often minorities) who have trouble getting other jobs. they almost exclusively hire people with short term contracts (because your body can’t take the work for more than a few months). I’ve been part of a union for a long time and I know a lot about work safety. These companies teach people nothing and they can only meet their deadlines if people actively break their backs twisting around, doing unsafe lifts and generally working to fast.

I get that shipping is sometimes necessary, but it can only be as fast and cheap as it is, because poor people pay with their bodies.

• flubo@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I thought so, and also because of that try not to buy overseas and generally buy second Hand and local, but still its terrible to hear that it is indeed this way. :/