…“We believe Artificial Intelligence can save lives – if we let it. Medicine, among many other fields, is in the stone age compared to what we can achieve with joined human and machine intelligence working on new cures. There are scores of common causes of death that can be fixed with AI, from car crashes to pandemics to wartime friendly-fire.”

As I type this, the nation of Israel is using an AI program called the Gospel to assist its airstrikes, which have been widely condemned for their high level of civilian casualties…

• unexposedhazard
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I agree that in actual use, medicine needs to verifiably work. I believe “AI”, if you wanna call it that, probably has its place in effectively speedrunning theoretical testing and bruteforcing of results that would take humans much longer to even think of.

The problem arises when people trust whatever the machine spits out. But thats not a new problem with AI its a general problem that any form of media has.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

AI is a tool. Just like all tools, it’s only as good as the tool that’s using it.