I don’t claim to know much about this but I guess it pulled a No Man’s Sky and patched in everything that needed to be fixed or added. And it’s half off on steam right now so I’m considering pulling the trigger. Should I?

• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The performance on release was also atrocious, but that was fixed a while ago.

• fanty@lemmy.fanty.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Now that you mention it. There was a big refund happening on PlayStation 4, I think? Because the game was basically unplayable on console.

I wonder how these things happen sometimes. Someone must have noticed, right? How did they even do any sort of testing on these versions?

• Tutunkommon@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think they developed for PS5 / Xbox Series but promised backwards compatibility with PS4 / Xbox One.

The backwards compatibility just didn’t work. The hardware couldn’t handle it as written and they scrambled to strip it down.

• jmcs
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Someone must have noticed, right?

Sure, but then there’s the whole telephone game between the developers and testers on one end and higher management and marketing on the other. Even in the best case scenario, where there’s no culture of fear and communication lines to decision makers are relatively short, it’s hard to make sure everyone really understands the status of a project, so when you add organizational dysfunctions in the mix it can lead to all kinds of bad decisions.