• Chewy
    link
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Iirc they did make changes to the engine, which would have required paying an external developer to port it again. It’s sad to see but it’s the reality of native games without a Linux dev in-house.

What I’m more angry about is how they didn’t make the proton version default, instead they kept the useless offline Linux native port. I’ve read too many comments thinking Rocket League online doesn’t work on Linux.

• @Fisch@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      13 months ago

But doesn’t Unreal Engine have the option to compile a Linux version? Isn’t that just a few clicks?

• Chewy
        link
        13 months ago

Yes, but especially for 3D games this often leads to worse performance and bugs, since the developer still has to be able to test the build. The big reason proton is so great is that Valve is responsible for fixing games on proton, while the dev just has to support a single (Windows) build.

Obviously some devs also fix a bug only found with proton, but it’s something they optionally do, without taking responsibility for fixing all bugs.

If it was so simple for a game studio to release on all platforms, we’d have macOS x86 & macOS ARM builds too.

• @Fisch@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          13 months ago

I get your point but at the same time it would also be easy for Epic to turn on AntiCheat support for Linux in Fortnite but they still don’t for whatever reason

• Chewy
            link
            edit-2
            3 months ago

Iirc they also use BattleEye in addition to EAC, so depending on their implementation it might not be as simple (unless they put in some work).

Epic talks about anti-cheat on Linux not being good enough for them since they aren’t kernel level. Which might be fair since Fortnite is big, altough most people probably won’t change their OS while cheats are also available on Windows anyway. At the end of the day Fortnite is only one of many games which don’t support anti cheat on Linux for whatever reason.