Identified errors:

This is not correct for Romania: officially it’s Surname + Given-name, live in Hungary.

Not true for Greece, it’s just First-name + Surname. It just happens that some Surnames are derived from the father’s name (think “Anderson”).

• CyberEgg
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

How long do Spanish and Portuguese names get?

• skeletorfw@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Very very long. I was entering a friend from Madeira into my phone a few weeks ago, and theirs was technically 7 names long.

Add to that the “so, which is your surname?” and getting 4 possible answers, all of which are in fact surnames.

There is also my friend who is half Spanish, half Portuguese. All his names shuffle around all the time depending on who he’s speaking to.

• KarmaPolice@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

This is kinda weird… Yeah, they can get big. Most usual is to have 4 names (2 first names + mother + father)

Anyway, it’s kinda weird because I wouldn’t give anyone more than first and last name… And that’s what most people do, (unless we’re in the rare situation where two people share the same first + last name). Why was your friend making you write his full name?

• skeletorfw@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

It was mostly to accentuate the stupidity of the whole situation, rather than directly being a bastard :)

• Calavera@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

When someone asks for my surname, sometimes I give my mother’s surname, sometimes my father’s surname and sometimes both, depending on my mood