• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

here in sweden we do this amazing thing called “actually building things solidly”, our apartment blocks are largely solid concrete and the only thing i hear from my neighbours is when their kids drop what i can only assume to be anvils onto the floor, which results in a faint thunk.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

these apartment buildings are part of the million programme back in the 60’s, where we churned out tons and tons of standardized high density housing eras much like your commie blocks.

So it’s not a problem of being cheap or communist, it’s a problem with effective execution.

And fwiw communist housing tends to generally be one of the better places to live, provided it’s not that one fucked up place in russia where it’s just highrises in a sea of parking lots.

• petrescatraian@libranet.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

@Swedneck I live in a communist era neighborhood myself, so I know how it is to live there. It’s generally great, but the execution of the buildings was rather poor (mine included). Some say it was for the better surveillance of the inhabitants, others say it was just rushed building. Whatever is the case, it’s still not pleasant knowing that you risk being heard by all the neighbors when you do the most normal noise.

And I like Russian blocks as well, provided they are those Hruschocskas (or Plattenbeau?) that are 5 storey high or less. We have some as well. The areas they’re in is generally really green with tall trees, so it’s really pleasant.

We generally use the term “commie block” to describe buildings during that area, but I included buildings raised after the '90s as well because the developers try to eschew regulations when building, so their quality is even poorer sometimes. That’s not to mean that all buildings during these times have thin walls or floors either tho.

It’s great to hear that the buildings where you live were raised with more attention to details like these though. Probably if I’d visit/live in one a bit I’d change my opinion about our buildings from that time as well. 😁