• rimjob_rainer
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

They should rather focus on 4k@60fps before doing shit like 8K which nobody needs.

• BorgDrone@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s a chicken/egg problem. We need 8k so we can use bigger TV’s, but those bigger TV’s need 8k content to be usable.

• Holzkohlen@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

What kind of TV do you need bro? A 60 inch with 4k is more than enough, especially when you think about how far you are gonna sit from a 60 inch TV. Only suckers buy into 8k. Same people who bought those rounded screen smartphones thinking it will be the new thing. Where are those phones now?

• BorgDrone@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

What kind of TV do you need bro? A 60 inch with 4k is more than enough, especially when you think about how far you are gonna sit from a 60 inch TV.

You misunderstand the point of higher resolutions. The point is not to make the image sharper, the point is to make the TV bigger at the same sharpness. This also means the same viewing distance.

At the end of the CRT ear I had 28” TV, at PAL resolutions that is ~540p visible. At the end of the HD era I had a 50” TV. Note that the ratios between resolution and size are close together. Now we’re partway through the 4k era and I currently have a 77” 4k TV. By the time we move to the 8k era I expect to have something around 100”. 8k would allow me to go up to a 200” TV.

I sit just as far from my 77” TV as I sat from my 27”, my 50” or my 65”. The point of a larger TV is to have a larger field-of-view, to fill a larger part your vision. The larger the FoV the better the immersion. That’s why movie theaters have such large screens, that’s why IMAX theaters have screens that curve around you.

Don’t think of an 8k TV as sharper, think of 4k as a cropped version of 8k. You don’t want to see the same things sharper, you want to see more things. Just like when we went from square to widescreen TV’s. The wider aspect-ratio got us extra content on the side, the 4:3 version just cut of the sides of the picture. So when you go from a 50” 4k to a 100” 8k, you can see this as getting a huge additional border around the screen that would simply be cut off on a 4k screen.

Of course, content makers need to adjust their content to take into account this larger field-of-view. But that’s again a chicken/egg problem.

The endgame is to have a TV that fills your entire field-of-view, so that when you are watching a movie that is all you see. As long as you can see the walls from the corners of your eye, your TV is not big enough.