There are laws in place for service workers related to minimum wage. The employers have to make up the difference if tips don’t meet the rate for hours worked. It seems to me that’s not sufficient for the times.

Hypothetically, if everyone were to stop tipping in the U.S. would things be better or worse for workers? Would employers start paying workers more?

• pruwyben
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

In Japan tipping is offensive because it puts the customer above the server

Saying they don’t put the customer above the server in Japan sounds very wrong to me. Servers use highly polite language to customers, while customers generally act in a way that feels very dismissive to me as an American - e.g. yelling to no one in particular when you want service, saying nothing when a server brings food or drinks. This is my experience at least.

• Dr. Moose@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Complete opposite experience here. Customer experience in Japan is top notch except there’s often too much ritual. For example buying electronics often involves like an hour long process as you pick up these cards that represent your items, take them to the cashier, pay, get a long 1 on 1 lesson and onboarding but at the same time it’s what makes the process wholesome and respectful. Bars and restaurants in particular are super wholesome.

• udon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yes, the workers stick to the ritual but customers hardly care. People don’t even greet the konbini workers or say thank you or anything that signals they deal with another human