• @ColeSloth
    link
    13 months ago

There is no packet loss on mine. If I ping 20 packets, I get 20 packets. 100%

• @beefcat@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      13 months ago

20 packets is a very small sample size.

ping also won’t necessarily capture all lost packets over wifi. Many are lost and re-transmitted by the wifi hardware without anything higher in the stack being aware.

• @ColeSloth
        link
        13 months ago

Look, man. Keep trying to spin things as hard as you can, but my wifi doesn’t lose packets, and “higher than the stack” hiding dropped packets is pure baloney, since that would still show a substantial increase in ping time. Stop trying to make yourself feel vindicated for buying expensive internet.

• @beefcat@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Hey man, I’m just speaking from 15 years of industry experience. Like I said, if you’re happy with the performance, that’s great. But I can objectively measure (and feel) the difference, so don’t go trying to tell me my personal experience is somehow invalid. People should know that there is, in fact, a difference. You’re not even addressing what I said about the latency and just getting hung up on packet loss.

Also my internet is not expensive. My city has a municipal fiber network, and I only pay about $50/mo for symmetrical gigabit service. I don’t need to “vindicate” myself here. I don’t think people should have to settle for wireless internet to get away from Comcast when fiber is a faster option without compromises.

• @ColeSloth
            link
            13 months ago

Industry experience in game lag? Ok. I guess I have 25 years experience starting with the original starcraft…