• DontNoodles
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This scares me to an extent but as long as immich provides some instructions on what to do to get back on track, this should be okay.

Also, what happens if one skips multiple such breaking updates? Will it be my responsibility to hunt down the changes and make corresponding amends?

And finally, while I understand that immich is not supposed to be photo backup solution, does it allow export and import of metadata, tags etc? I ask because I intend to set it up and I may skip few of these updates and instead do a fresh install a year or so later. If I can simply export my settings, face ID info, albums from old setup and import it into the new one then it makes things very easy.

Otherwise the phrase breaking changes does sound really scary.

• BCsven@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Yep

Yes

That part I haven’t read up on

Breaking changes are scary for running solutions. it is why IT has a mandate of “Never touch a running system” (security patches only)

Immich is a younger, quickly evolving project, so new features or improvements may justify breaking the upgrade path. There may be folks that share data migration tips when that happens. It is why in corporate world we never want to be on the latest version of something; let the non critical data users find the problems.

Also you may have seen this on the project page. Basically use at own risk until things mature:

⚠️ The project is under very active development. Expect bugs and changes. Do not use it as the only way to store your photos and videos!