Dell RTO mandate said to be a stealth layoff, for women::Employees feel frustrated by lack of communication and bosses’ inability to tell them which offices are open

• 2xsaiko
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

“You can also see it in the new parent (maternity/paternity leave) policies. Male employees can come back to do the same job again, whereas female employees are guaranteed a job when they return, but there is no guarantee it will be the same one they had when they left.”

wtf?

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Yeahhhhh I am not a lawyer but I think that might actually be illegal, specifically because of the explicitly different treatment based simply on gender.

• T156@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Someone might be able to argue constructive dismissal too, if the job that they get after leave is worse than the job that they had before they went on maternity leave.

• Dran@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Would it still be illegal if it’s based on time? Like I’ll make this up but suppose their policy was men get 2 weeks paternity leave, but women get 2 months maternity. It might actually make sense then.

• Dran@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

No, but we are still in the era of mom has to physically annihilate her body in order to produce a child, and also in the era of mom requires actual physical recovery time before performing strenuous physical activity. I get the equity in offering dads extra leave to help take care of mom but it’s disingenuous to suggest that they both have the same requirements.

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

It should be identical leave for both parents regardless. This is one reason women are paid less, they miss more time than men which delays their career progression.

• JoBo@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Surely there’s a legal way to carry on fucking women over.

• Dran@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

I don’t think it is unreasonable to tell a man or a woman that if you take 3-6 months off that someone else might take your role.

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

That’s the legal standard on FMLA. Important to note the pay has to be the same.