First of all: I don’t have anything against Wayland. I just wanna play Minecraft occasionally.

I am running Fedora with KDE on some HP workstation with an Nvidia 2060 FE. I am using the proprietary drivers. With the next release of Fedora (and KDE), Wayland will be the only supported Display Manager (as of my understanding). I tried switching to Wayland, but I get some weird black stuttering in Minecraft making it completely unplayable. The bad thing is that with my friends GPU, a GTX 1050, it worked just fine. On my Laptop with just the integrated Graphics too.

Have you got any tips for me? I neither want to switch the distro nor the desktop enviroment, as I’m happy with how it is. I could imagine buying a used amd gpu, but I dont really want to spend a lot of money.

For now, I am just waiting and hoping they’re having it fixed in the release. ** Edit:** thanks for all the help. @Pantherina@feddit.des solution, forcing it to use xwayland made it better, but then i discovered that if I’m in fullscreen, it works perfectly fine, also without xwayland. It seems like a really dumb solution, and i’m not quite happy with it, but hey, if it works, don’t touch it.

tl;dr: In fullscreen it works just fine

• Sentau
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

You don’t have to worry. The folks at fedora have decided that the X11 session will remain in fedora 40 so you will be able to use X11 if you still face issues in wayland.

Edit : I was not clear enough. Want I mean to say is that the kwin-x11 and other required packages will be part of the fedora repo and people can just download them to enable the plasma-X11 session

• Sentau
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

At today’s FESCo meeting, we agreed on the following proposal:

AGREED: KDE packages which reintroduce support for X11 are allowed in the main Fedora repositories, however they may not be included by default on any release-blocking deliverable (ISO, image, etc.). The KDE SIG should provide a notice before major changes, but is not responsible for ensuring that these packages adapt. Upgrades from F38 and F39 will be automatically migrated to Wayland. (+5, 0, -1)

For additional clarification: this means that all users performing upgrades MUST be migrated to the Wayland session. They then MAY opt-in to the X11 session by installing a package for that purpose. We are explicitly not providing detailed technical implementation requirements here, but we expect all parties to follow the spirit of this decision when making technical decisions.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

They are likely just removing the entry in sddm.

On Kinoite you will need a custom RPM to change that setting